Magical Multi-Colored Hair
Bright and Bold is What It’s About
The newest, biggest trend to hit the salon is what is so playfully referred to as Unicorn Hair. The bright, vibrant, magical colors that remind us of whimsy are now gracing the heads of care-free and light-hearted people everywhere. But what do you need to know before making the decision to turn your locks into a head turning piece of walking art? A whole lot!
Before Your Appointment
There are some things you can do before coming in to the salon to ensure that the process runs smoothly and your stylist isn’t hit with any surprises or set backs.
1. DO NOT COLOR YOUR HAIR! This is a big one! The less artificial color your stylist has to work against the better. There really aren’t too many people out there who don’t have some kind of artificial color on their hair these days. No new color between now and your appointment and be honest with how often and for how long you have colored your hair.
2. Use an at home treatment in the weeks approaching your appointment. Your hair will most likely be going through quite a bit of lightening to get to a level where the bright colors will be their most vibrant. I suggest using Redken Extreme CAT Treatment. This is a protein enriched treatment that strengthens hair after shampooing and before conditioning. Done once or twice a week, this will build the strength of your hair so we can lighten it without compromising its integrity.
3.Come in with clean, dry hair. So we can dive right into the appointment and not have to deal with excess oil or having to blow dry your hair.
What to Expect
There are a few things you need to be prepared for day of.
1. Expect a hair cut. There are many reasons why a haircut is absolutely 100% necessary. If doing several different colors or if you are going for a multi-dimensional look, then the haircut will dictate the placement of the color (layering is absolutely essential for the blended, multi-faceted and balayaged looks). If you have a lot of old color on your ends and it is not possible to achieve an evenly lightened canvas, your stylist will have to cut those ends off so the final look is evenly toned. Also, if your hair is just plain damaged and distressed then you will need a cut to promote the general health of your hair.
2. Expect to be in the salon for a fair amount of time. Unless you walk in with perfectly toned platinum blonde hair with no signs of new growth and a fresh cut then expect to be in the salon for a good amount of your day. If you have artificial color in your hair, your stylist will have to evaluate what they want to do about it. Most of the time, the answer is to extract it. This is followed by the lightening process which in itself is the most time consuming part of the appointment. After you have been lightened to the proper level and toned, the coloring process will begin.
3. Expect a heavy bill. Of course, you should speak with your stylist about the cost. There is a lot of time, product and skill involved in creating these beautiful styles and your stylist deserves to be appropriately compensated for this.
After spending the day in the salon and spending the money to get your hair to this point of color excellence, you need to make sure you are doing what you need to do to keep the color vibrant as long as possible. Before you leave the salon, make sure you stock up on the proper care and maintenance products and discuss a care regimen with your stylist.
Sulfate free shampoo is essential. I recommend Redken Blonde Idol shampoo. It is pH balanced and specifically formulated for hair that has been lightened. A protein enriched conditioner such as Redken Extreme Conditioner will help fortify and strengthen your hair.
A weekly treatment or mask is also a must. If your hair is one color your stylist can create a conditioning mask that has direct dye in it to refresh your color as well as treat your hair. I recommend Redken Color Extend Magnetics Deep Attraction Mask. It is a conditioning treatment that helps lock in color.
Using styling products that include a heat protectant is also very important. Heat tools will fade color very quickly so be sure to be protected.
Enjoy more pictures of hair done by our extremely talented stylists! Let the inspiration flow!
Follow us on Instagram @riohairstudio!
Written by: Jess Wilkins – Stylist
Follow me on Facebook and Instagram (@jesswilkins)!