Get that sun-kissed look just in time for Summer!
You may have been seeing the word “balayage” a lot lately when scrolling through hair pictures on Pinterest and Instagram. It has been taking the salon industry by storm. But what is it exactly? Balayage is a technique for highlighting in which dye or lightener is painted on the hair in such a way as to create a graduated, natural-looking effect. Celebrities like Sarah Jessica Parker, Jessica Biel, Miranda Kerr and Lauren Conrad have been seen sporting this look. It’s great because since it is a very natural look, it lowers the amount of maintenance required to keep it looking good. If you decide to add a few lighter pieces to your natural color, you only need to come in every 8-10 weeks to get a refresh and/or toner (if you and your stylist decide to dye over your natural color, you will have to come in every 6 weeks for a retouch on your new growth).
Another great thing about balayage is, it looks great no matter how light you get the highlights. So this makes transitioning from very dark hair to a lighter look a lot more laid back. A big misconception is that unless you get the hair very blonde, you will leave the salon with orange hair. My dear sweet readers, that is what toner is for! It is the holy grail of any lightening service. So, after a few sessions with your stylist, you too can have those beautiful blonde highlights that are blended and graduated without compromising the integrity of your hair and without having an entire head of a color that you aren’t crazy about.
What to do before and after your balayage experience
(These rules really go for any color service you’re thinking about getting.)
Before your appointment:
1. Gather some photos of what you ultimately would like. Having a visual will help you and your stylist get on the same page. Your idea of honey colored highlights might not be the same as theirs!
2. Stop dying your hair, preferably months before. Any artificial color on your hair will slow down the lightening process and can lead to uneven lifting.
After your appointment:
1. Shampoo with a sulfate-free shampoo like Redken’s Color Extend Magnetics. Sulfates will fade your color faster. Condition with a hydrating and pH-balanced conditioner made for hair that has been lightened like Pureology’s Perfect 4 Platinum Conditioner.
2. Use a heat protectant before blow drying, flat ironing or curling. The heat can not only damage your hair (especially lightened hair) but it can also fade or brown-out color faster.
3. Use a moisturizing mask once a week. I love Redken’s Blonde Idol Mask.
Schedule Your Appointment
Call us @ 904-733-8495 to schedule an appointment today for a consultation to decide if balayage is right for you. In the mean time here are some photos of beautifully balayaged hair done by our talented team of artists to hold you over:
Written by: Jess Wilkins, Stylist @ Rio Hair Studio